weekly wrap up: 09/27/2026


I'm usually the type to read several books at a time. But recently I've been getting a bit overwhelmed at my very many options. To combat this funky feeling, I'm limiting myself to one book per format: one physical book, one ebook, and one audiobook.

☀☀☀

Possible spoilers ahead for Six of Crows!

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo 

I picked this up at the library several weeks ago now. I think my local library does 3 week check-outs, and I've renewed this book once so far just to give you more context.

I really liked the first book, and Bardugo always does such a good job of writing her characters with depth. And when you have characters with depth, the story seems to just write itself. Suffice to say, my hopes are quite high for this one.

I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm loving the set up of Wylan's character arc. He's feeling like an imposter among the Dregs, and in the job they're doing. And he's been Tailored to look like a completely different person, of a completely different nationality and race. He's literally physically become an imposter in his own skin.

I cannot stress how excited I am to see how this all plays out. How are they going to rescue Inej? Is Kaz going to be able to give all of himself to her? How is Nina doing after the parem?

 ☀☀☀

Your Beloved Remains by Quinn Connor 

My full review of this book will be in a separate post.

This was such a good read. The narrators are unreliable and the plot is so deliciously dark. Cannot recommend enough for anyone looking for a haunting read in autumn.

One of my favorite things about this book is the all consuming obsession we get to witness. It's the kind of obsession that occupies every waking thought and action, making for an absolutely bonkers wild ride. Paired with the toxic, sapphic relationship? Chef's kiss.

I stayed up late to finish this last night and it was worth every page. I did struggle a little bit to fall asleep after though lmao.

☀☀☀

🎧 Hemlock & Silver by T Kingfisher

Whenever I'm reading/listening to an audiobook, it's usually because I need something to listen to while I'm working out, doing chores, cooking dinner, etc... But this book has me so invested that I've been listening even outside of those activities.

The narrator does such a wonderful job of bringing T Kingfisher's work to life. It's easy to differentiate between characters and her general cadence is reminiscent of story time at the library (my favorite kind of audiobooks honestly).

The main character, Anya, being in her 30s is so refreshing compared to the younger characters I end up following. She has such a practicality to her actions, and being in medicine (kind of, if she were real and alive in our times I'd peg her as an MD/PhD haha) makes me appreciate her even more.

☀☀☀

As the weather gets cooler, I think I'll be inclined to stay in and read more than anything. Can't wait till we're in the full swing of sweater weather.

Good luck out there!

🐾 maomi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

kind of starting this on a whim!

arc review: Your Beloved Remains